Department: Department of Botany and Zoology – Faculty of Science
Deadline: February 15, 2022
Start date: As soon as possible in 2022
Type of employment: fulltime
Working area: Science and research
Bursar of the Faculty of Science of Masaryk University announces open competition for the position Post-doctorate in Macroecology and Diversity
of European vegetation, Masaryk University, Czech Republic
Workplace: Vegetation Sciences Group, Department of Botany and Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: Temporary position with a contract until December 31, 2023, non-academic
Business hours: 1.0 FTE (full-time job 40 hours per week)
Salary: 50,000 CZK / month
Expected start date: As soon as possible in 2022
Number of open positions: 2
Registration deadline: February 15, 2022
About the workplace
Masaryk University is the second largest university in the Czech Republic with ten faculties, over 5,000 staff and over 30,000 students.
FFaculty of Sciences MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award from the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering academic training (bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs) closely linked to primary and applied research and teaching secondary of the following fields of science: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Earth Sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit at Masaryk University, generating approximately 40% of MU’s research results.
Department of Botany and Zoology is a modern research and teaching center in evolutionary biology, biosystematics and ecology. His research groups study the phylogenetic relationships and classification of organisms, their diversity from local to continental level, and the ecological relationships of species, populations and individual communities in relation to natural and human-induced changes in entire ecosystems.
- Carry out independent research in the fields of vegetation macroecology or vegetation classification on the basis of the analysis of European databases of vegetation patches
- Writing scientific publications for international journals
- Active participation in scientific conferences and meetings (in person or online)
Skills and qualifications
- Doctorate in ecology, botany, vegetation science, biogeography or related fields
- Less than 8 years after obtaining the doctorate. when starting the job
- Applicants who have obtained a doctorate. at Masaryk University must have completed the first post of at least two years duration outside of MU
- Specialist in vegetation ecology, macroecology or the study of vegetation
- Experience in analyzing biodiversity data
- International experience (completed studies or previous employment at a university or research institute outside the Czech or Slovak Republics)
- Publishing experience (the first or corresponding author of at least three articles in the above fields published in journals indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Fluency in spoken and written English demonstrated by previous international publications and presentations at conferences or internships
- Good communication skills, motivation for teamwork, ability to create and manage international research networks
- Flexible and independent way to organize work with a clear focus on science
- Interesting work in a growing academic field
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to meet personal needs for family and work compatibility
- Social benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, a financial meal allowance, lunches in MU canteens, multisport card, free vaccinations, language courses at reduced prices, university cinema discount, price offer exclusive mobile by Vodafone, childcare group-Campus
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and vibrant city (for more information on the cost of living, you can refer to Numbeo)
- The International Personnel Office will assist you with your move to Brno
The request must be submitted online before February 15, 2022 via an electronic application, please find the reference to the e-application at the beginning and at the end of the advertisement.
The candidate must provide the following:
- CV including a list of publications (with a clear indication of the articles indexed in the Web of Science database)
- Cover letter explaining the candidate’s interest in macroecology and vegetation diversity or vegetation classification and how the candidate fulfills the above requirements (max. 2 pages)
- Names and contact details of at least two academic references
After successfully submitting your application, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Applications received will be carefully examined in accordance with the principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meet the qualification requirements described above, (ii) provide all required documents.
If we do not contact you within 10 working days of the application deadline at the latest, it means that we have shortlisted other candidates who meet the requirements for the position.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or online interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be viewed here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Visit our Career page.
We look forward to hearing from you!